Q: I’ve been using the Pre-Ex 3X Workout program for a month, and my results have been crazy good. Fuller muscles, more vascular. One problem I’ve had is upright rows for shoulders. They’ve been hurting. Is there a good substitute?
A: First, are you using dumbbells? Using a barbell pins your hands and restricts freedom of movement. That can impinge the shoulder joint, especially if you pull your elbows higher than your shoulders.
It’s why we usually have dumbbell upright rows in our programs. In the Pre-Ex 3X routine you can do lateral raises supsersetted with DB upright rows—3 rounds, with 45 seconds between rounds. Then you end with the stretch move—incline one-arm laterals or one-arm cable laterals.
For the uprights pull the dumbbells up and OUT, so you focus on the lateral head and your elbows do NOT go higher than your shoulder joint. If that still hurts, you can use W presses as your second exercise in the superset…
You can push higher than what’s pictured, so the DBs are over your head more, but keep your arms angled outward. That will reduce shoulder impingement and keep tension on the shoulders.
If shoulder pain is “hurting” your workouts—and possibly disrupting your sleep—we highly recommend Rick Kaselj’s program…
Fix My Shoulder Pain <== Go here to check it out.
Till next time, train hard—and smart—for BIG results.
—Steve Holman and Jonathan Lawson
NO MORE SHOULDER PAIN
Shoulder pain can affect your workouts forever. That’s not good!
That’s why we’re recommending advice from injury specialist Rick Kaselj, MS. His tips can help make your shoulders nearly bullet-proof.
Here are a few general tips from Rick (he goes into more detail in his program)…
Top 5 Tips To Bullet-Proof Your Shoulders
- Build Tension in Your Lats. When doing shoulder exercises, activate your lats and keep your shoulders happy.
- Prime Up Your Muscles. Most people do a warm-up that just lubricates the joint, but you need to activate and turn on all the muscles in your upper body.
- Technique, Technique, Technique. This is the number one reason why people injure their shoulders. You can’t go to the gym every day and work on your max lift.
- Watch Out for Fatigue. Cooking your smaller muscles in your shoulder complex, and that increases the risk of shoulder injury and pain.
- Work on Your Shoulder Blade Muscles. Many strength coaches will say you’re wasting your time on this, but if you want to have bullet-proof shoulders, you need to work on them.
Get all of Rick’s tips and tricks for pain-free workouts below: